Monday, May 7, 2012

Mi Familia de Paraguay!

Hello everyone!
So this blog entry is going to be all about my family and here in Paraguay. Enjoy!


In my family here I have a mom, dad, sister, brother, and a dog!

That’s my host mom, Susana. She is studying to be a lawyer. She makes dinner for us every night. She is always making sure I have enough food to eat, that I am awake in the mornings, if I am feeling okay, if I need anything. She is always trying to explain things using hand motions but they are always really random and obscure and she just ends up making really word noises and I never understand any of it, but I always get a good laugh out of it. :)









That’s my host dad, Carlos. He is an accountant and works in Ciudad Del Este, so every Tuesday he takes a 1-hour plane ride there, he spends the week there and then comes back on Friday. He reminds me a lot of my real dad because he is really funny and they wear the same types of clothes.








That’s my host sister, Jackie. She is 17 and in the same class as me at school. She is a really friendly and nice person. I was really lucky that she spoke English, because when I first got here I didn’t understand anything and she helped me out so much!  She really likes One Direction (as do I :) so we spend hours on the computer together watching videos and hanging out. (Yes I realize we are dorks.)








That’s my host brother, Carlos but he we call him Carlitos (it's like Carlos Jr.). He’s 19. I don’t see him a lot because he goes to college and has a job but here in Paraguay people stay living with their parents until they get married (normally). He spent a semester in London last year so he speaks some English as well. He is obsessed with a soccer club here; Olimpia, and I always hear him yelling at the TV.
(Sorry I don't have a better photo, like I said he isn't around a lot.)







And this is Ozzie! (My cousin Franco locked him in here) He is about 8 months old and really hyper. He isn’t allowed inside except during meals (seems a little backwards to me but whatever.) He is obsessed with attacking me and biting my feet. But he is so fluffy and cute and I love him!









And of course what would a family be without aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents. My host mom's family lives in another city about 6 hours away so I have yet to meet them but my host dad's side of the family all live in or around Asuncion (the capital).

I have six cousins.







<---This is Gaston, he's ten, he is really sweet and always smiling. (Not a great picture but he is never sitting still!)

















Ferran and Sergi are twins and are 13. They don’t look anything alike though. They both play soccer. And that's Joaquin he's ten and insanely polite but also insanely crazy.













Patti is Joaquin's younger sister, she's nine and is very sweet, hyper, and always laughing.


That's Franco he's Gaston's little brother, he's five. He is constantly running around and making silly faces. He always steals my camera and takes photos of himself.












And then there are all the aunts and uncles.
Machi and Jorge are Franco and Gaston's parents.
Mechi Edu and Patti and Joaquin's parents
Albi-Jordi are Sergi and Ferran's parents.
And last but not least there is Tata, she's the grandmother. She is very sweet and is always smiling.



From left to right: Albi, Jackie, Noe (second cousin), Mechi, Me, Machi, Tata, and Susana






Left to right: (back row): Jorge, Susana, Me, Jackie, Carlos, Edu. (front row): Tata, Mechi, Machi, Albi, Jordi.












So that's my family! I am really lucky to have to the family that I do. I know so many exchange students who don't get along with their siblings or parents and are having major problems and I am just so grateful that I got the family that I did. They are amazing and I am thankful for all they do for me!

3 comments:

  1. Erin I love this post. Thank you for finally introducing us to your host family. They look absolutely amazing. Please make sure they know how much we appreciate what good care they are taking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting and introducing your host family. They look so fun and sweet. So glad you are having a great time and a great experience. We miss you here in Tucson! I'll try to check in more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stories are great. I was in Itagua for two months w/out my husband. Went w my 2 yr old daughyer, stayed w his family. They had a similar dog, Norton, who was also obsessed with attacking my and biting my fett. He also barked for attention or barked if you got too close. The only way to quiet him for a minute was to throw a chipita at him! Always at night, just as I'd finally be almost asleep, he'd bark.

    Your bus story is very funny too. you never said what happens in the back. My family would not allow mw to take the bus. I loved how they were decorated with tassels.

    In Itagua, when you pass by people you say, "Adiooos" like adios/good byee/see you later. Older people test you by staring at you to see what you'll do and get a great look of surprise when you offer up an, "Adioooos" and a nod!

    In the market, I've never seen so many eggs!

    Milk is frequently purchased stright from the cow and boiled at home.

    I made my family french toast and they loved it. I also made chili and they we intrigued and impressed. It was difficult to find ground beef because you dont make hamburgers, you buy them frozen.

    Sleeping was interesting, I didn't sleep at all and found myself waking up at 4am to drink warm milk w home made dulce de leche. The atmosphere is so quiet it's defening, then a rooster crows or a pack of syreet dogs have a rumble or a truck rumbles by on the route.

    At breakfast, they already ask what you want for lunch and at lunch they ponder what's for dinner. Food is bought fresh nearly every dau at the mercado. Dont bother going on Sunday as the market is closed and the streets are empty.

    During the school year, there's am and pm school. After school the kids flood the syrerts walking arm in arm. A beautiful sight.

    There was an old man who delivered coal w a
    pull cart. There were at least 5 of every type of shop. They had real shoemakers!

    For my daughters birthday she had two party dresses made w the traditional nyanduti lace. One for the giests artival and one for the party. There are several party shops. You go to find the theme you want. We chose tinkerbell. They have handmade foamboard cutouts you rent for decoration. They rented tables, chairs, plates and silverware. They came with colorful handmade linens and so many balloons! The ladies used a vaccuum exhust to blow up the balloons and tied them together to make a great arch. Candies are sprinkled on the cake table.

    I was there during Fall. Strawberry season was fantastic and ended aburptly. Strawberry everything! The ladies walked with baskets of strawberries and called into windows to make sales. People sell many things this way, even bathroom tissue! When you want someones attention, you dont knock but clap your hands outside the window.

    I'd love to hear more stories about the school and your experiences in Paraguay. Take care! BethAnne

    ReplyDelete