Sunday, March 25, 2012

Weather in Paraguay


So I was going to spend this blog entry telling you guys about my experience cooking an American meal for my family, however my camera isn't working at the moment so instead I am going to talk about the Weather here.

Since Paraguay is in the Southern Hemisphere the seasons are flipped. A few days ago was the first day of Spring in the United States, however here it was the first day of fall. And almost like clockwork the weather changed.

For those of you who live in Tucson, the weather is VERY similar, except that it rains a lot more here. :)

Since I arrived the weather has been in the mid 90-80’s sometimes exceeding 100 degrees during the day. Luckily I caught the end of the summer weather. It’s weird to think they celebrate Christmas with 100 degree weather, I mean it’s never really cold enough in Tucson for snow, but I always associate Christmas with warm clothes and hot chocolate but if you did that here you would have a heat stroke.


Anyways to get back on track with what I was saying.

The weather for the past few days has been amazing, it has been rainy and the temperature has been around 75, which may sound hot to some of you, but for here it is reason enough to pull out some winter clothes. People have actually been wearing jackets to school complaining that it is to cold out. I will admit, I am one of those people; except for the complaining part, I love this weather!

June and July are the really cold months here. They are like our Decembers and Januarys (in Tucson). From what I have heard it doesn’t snow very often but it can get below freezing some days, so fingers crossed that I get a chance to play in the snow!

Oh random interesting fact, in Germany instead of saying “fingers crossed” they say “pressing the thumbs” (die daumen drücken). And they clasp their fingers around their thumb (making a fist).

Also, I heard that there have been TWO snowfalls in Tucson since I left, and I would be really jealous that I missed them except for the fact that I am here which makes it all okay. :) But I hope everyone had fun playing in the snow and enjoy the hot weather coming your way!

I am going to Encarnacion (another city) with my school tomorrow and we are gonna be seeing some of the historical landmarks of Paraguay. So if my camera decides to start working, I will post a bunch of pictures in my next blog.

Chau!

1 comment:

  1. Erin, you are making it so fun to read your blogs. Don't hold your breath for the snow. There is about a 1 in 100,000 chance of that happening. We did have hail once or twice while we were there. It lasted about 2 min. Disfrutas Encarnacion y todas las otras ciudades y los pueblos!

    ReplyDelete